|Rescued article requiring attention|
|This article was rescued from The Annex, a repository of pages deleted from Wikipedia for lack of notability. Please edit it to conform to this wiki's style guidelines before removing this notice.|
Treants are creatures found in the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game. They are also a level 6 unit for the Sylvan faction in the computer game Heroes of Might and Magic V
Treants are sentient trees with human characteristics. They are typically portrayed as protectors of the forests and antagonists to industrialization and despoiling of nature. They are typically allies of druids and fey, opposing malicious races such as orcs.
Treants appear to have been inspired by the talking trees of many of the world's folklores, as well as the Ent from J. R. R. Tolkien's world of Middle Earth. See tree (mythology) for more information.
The name "treant" comes from combining "tree" and "giant," and is usually pronounced /|tree-ant/.
- Baur, Wolfgang. "Vs. Treants." Dragon #283 (Paizo Publishing, 2001).
- Cook, David, et al. Monstrous Compendium Volume One (TSR, 1989).
- Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual (TSR, 1977).
- Lawson, Susan. "Ecology of the Treant." Dragon #79 (TSR, 1983).
- Williams, Skip, Jonathan Tweet, and Monte Cook. Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast, 2000).