List of books by category[edit | edit source]
Real-world history and myth[edit | edit source]
- A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe, by Joseph Browning and Suzi Yee.
- The Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were, by Robert Ingpen.
- The Medieval Fortress, by J.E. Kaufmann and H.W. Kaufmann.
- Castles, by Alan Lee and David Day.
- Castle, by David Macaulay.
- Le Morte d'Arthur, by Sir Thomas Malory.
- The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England, by Ian Mortimer.
- Cities of the Renaissance World, by Michael Swift and Angus Konstam.
- The Mapmakers, by John Noble Wilford.
- The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, by E.D. Hirsh Jr.
Writing[edit | edit source]
- Under the Black Flag, by David Cordingly.
- Writing Fiction, by Janet Burroway.
- Immediate Fiction, by Jerry Cleaver.
- The Art of Dramatic Writing, by Lajos Egri.
- Creating Character: Bringing Your Story to Life, by William Bernhardt.
- Perfecting Plot: Charting the Hero's Journey, by William Bernhardt.
- Story Structure: The Key to Successful Fiction, by William Bernhardt.
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, by Stephen King.
- Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting, by Robert McKee.
- The Anatomy of Story, by John Truby.
- Save the Cat, by Blake Snyder.
- The Writer's Complete Fantasy Reference, by Writers Digest.
Game design[edit | edit source]
- Variety Puzzles and Games series, by PennyPress.
- Things We Think About Games, by Will Hindmarch and Jeff Tidball.
- A Theory of Fun for Game Design, by Raph Koster.
- Hamlet's Hit Points, by Robin D. Laws.
- Game Design: A Book of Lenses, by Jesse Schell.
The art of GMing[edit | edit source]
- Master of the Game, by Gary Gygax.
- Role-Playing Mastery, by Gary Gygax.
- Play Unsafe: How Improvisation Can Change the Way You Roleplay, by Graham Walsley.
Games and sourcebooks[edit | edit source]
- Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game, by Atlas Games.
- Microscope, by Ben Robbins.
- Gary Gygax's Extraordinary Book of Names, by Malcolm Bowers.
- Gary Gygax's Living Fantasy and the rest of the Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds series, by Gary Gygax.
- Grimtooth's Traps, by Paul Ryan O'Connor.
- DMGR1 Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide (1990).
- DMGR2 The Castle Guide (1990).
- DMGR3 Arms and Equipment Guide (2e) (1991).
History of gaming[edit | edit source]
- Of Dice and Men: The Story of Dungeons & Dragons and The People Who Play It, by David M. Ewalt.
- The Bones: Us and Our Dice, by Will Hindmarch.
- Playing at the World, by Jon Peterson.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.